syslog-ng on cygwin

I am developing some PERL scripts for OMNIbus/Netcool at work.  Because my company restricts freedom and discourages innovation, we are stuck on Microsoft.  Luckily they haven't locked us down to the point where we can not install new software.   So I've become a big fan of Cygwin.  I've never used heroin, but I suspect my use of Cygwin is much like an addict's use of Methadone.  It keeps me alive, just barely.
Anyway, this piece of knowledge was not the most straightforward piece to find, or I'm just an idiot (not that those are mutually exclusive.)  However on the winblows box, syslong-ng runs under Cygwin and even sets itself up as a service which is cool.

Side Note:  if you want to upgrade Cygwin and are getting file in use problems and are running syslog-ng, you probably need to shutdown the service during upgrades.

Anyway, marking and statistics in /var/log/messages on winblows are pointless and just consume disk space.   Normal google searching didn't give me the magic bullet, but there were tidbits.  The trick is to disable both marking and statistics in the syslog-ng.conf file.  This is blatantly obvious now, but without a good man page it was tough to find the right keywords.

Nonetheless, the magic is thus heretofore presented:


@version: 3.0
options {
dns_cache(yes);
mark_freq(0);
stats_freq(0);
keep_hostname(yes);
owner("system");
group("root");
perm(0664);
flush_lines(0);
};

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xubuntu Home Server on Dell XPS 13 9370

Cygwin + syslog-ng

Installing Fedora 21 on a (late 2014) Mac Mini