Using ecryptfs to mount encrypted directories

Rather than encrypted every backup file individually I find it useful to just put an ecryptfs overlay on a couple of directories and just write directly to them letting ecrypt take care of the encryption.

In this example, I have a local drive that I write my daily incremental gnu tar file to.  I then rsync that directory's contents to a mirror directory house on the IT microsoft network drive.  This code snipet mounts the 2 ecrypt directories.  I run this after rebooting my box since I don't want  to store the passphrase anywhere.



ECRYPT_OPTIONS="key=passphrase,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,ecryptfs_passthrough=n,ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto=n"
sudo mount -t ecryptfs /scratch/myuser/encrypted /scratch/myuser/encrypted                                   -o "${ECRYPT_OPTIONS}" || exit 4
sudo mount -t ecryptfs /mnt/dos/home/myuser/MyDocuments/encrypted /mnt/dos/home/myuser/MyDocuments/encrypted -o "${ECRYPT_OPTIONS}" || exit 5










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xubuntu Home Server on Dell XPS 13 9370

Cygwin + syslog-ng

Installing Fedora 21 on a (late 2014) Mac Mini